Sunday, June 1, 2014

Weekly Bulletin for June 2, 2014


2014 WEDGE College Fair a huge success with over 300 in attendance.

Important Dates


June 3 - Brief meeting after school for those teachers attending graduation (see below)

June 4 - Underclassman Final Exams Begin.  Click here for schedule.

June 4 - Graduation 7:30 Parkside Auditorium

June 5 - 12:00 - Staff Luncheon - Brief staff meeting following lunch.

June 6 - Last day of School

August 13 - New Student Orientation

August 14 - New Teacher Day

August 18 - Professional Development Day

August 19 - Convocation Day

August 20 - School Begins


Important Information


Staff Graduation Meeting - On Tuesday, June 3 at 2:30, please meet me in the library to go over some last minute graduation details.

Graduation - If you are attending graduation, please be at Parkside at 6:45.  We have a room reserved for administrators and teachers to meet prior to the ceremony.  Please bring your gowns and hoods. Parkside is located at  7100 Pettibone Rd, Chagrin Falls, OH 44023.  Click here for a printable map from to Parkside from WGHS.  Following graduation, I have reserved room at Station 43 restaurant in hopes you will join me to celebrate the successful school year.  The restaurant is only 1.2 miles from Parkside and directions can be found here.

College Fair - Thank you to all of you that promoted and attended the very successful college fair. Over 200 students attended from West G and area schools.  If you include families, we had over 350 attend this event.

Blizzard Bag #2 - The second blizzard bag was due May 28th.  Please have student attendance recorded in ProgressBook's January 29th period attendance.  Have this completed by June 3rd and send Pat Y. a note if you have no absences to report.

End of the Year Checkouts - Check outs can be held at the end of the day on Friday, June 6 if you are finished with all responsibilities.  You can begin to collect signatures from Pam and Joyce as early as Thursday, June 5.  I will be in the week of June 9th if you would like to have some extra time to get your work completed.  Grades must be submitted prior to checking out and are due not later than Tuesday, June 10th.  Please be sure your finished curriculum maps and pacing guides are shared and your SLO's are turned in.  

Reflection - It is true what my parents have been telling me since I was young - "Time speeds up as we get older."  I can not believe the end of the school year is upon us.  We have had an incredible year filled with many successes and a huge amount of professional work accomplished.  As I was creating my graduation speech, I went through this blog and reread all 36 previous posts.  It was nice to pause and reflect on this past year.   Looking at the year as a whole, I realize many things I am proud of and many things I would like to improve upon.  I hope you take a moment and do the same about your year in the building and classroom.  Perhaps use these thoughts as building blocks to improve your instruction for next year.  Take a closer look at the many "Good Professional Reading" links that are posted on each blog as there is something there for everyone.  Consider some of the summer reading I have posted below and/or create a Twitter account to begin "following" the leaders in your field.  Thank you for all your hard work, accomplishments and continued support.  I wish each one of you an awesome summer and I look forward to seeing you in August!
Dr. Jim Troha, President of Juniata
College, presents to WG students
during their lunch.


Good Professional Reading (or Watching)
Finish the School Year Strong
10 shifts for educators to make in the upcoming school year
Writing for the Common Core (Video Playlist)
A Teachers Guide to Twitter

Looking to get some good books during break? Consider the following:

No comments:

Post a Comment