Friday, August 23, 2013

Staff Information for the Week of 8/25/2013

Home

Coming to school each day can become a hopeless task for some children unless they succeed at what they do. We teachers are the sentries against that hopelessness.  ~ Robert DeBruyn



Important Dates

August 26 - Dept. Head meeting after school in library conference room

August 28 - PLC and 9th Grade Mentoring - Please read below for details.

August 29 - See staff calendar

August 30 - No School

September 2 - Labor Day - No School

September 4 - Freshman Mentoring, PLC and Open House

September 12 - School Pictures.


  • Monitor Halls - Please stand at your door between periods.  Not only does this help curb any negative behavior, it is a nice gesture to greet the students as they enter your room.
  • Google Calendar- Subscribe to the HS Parent/Student calendar by clicking here .  Pam will share with you the staff calendar.  
  • Tech Wednesdays - We are bringing back Tech Wednesdays to assist you in with the many forms of technology that can be used in your classroom.  Sean Whelan will be demonstrating Google Apps for Education in the library.  These apps include Drive, Docs, Calendar and Gmail.  It is my intention to issue PDU credit for your time spent during training.  
  • Bullying and Harassment Behavior - Always be on the lookout for harassing behavior.  If you witness something that throws up a red flag, do not dismiss the situation and chalk it up to teenage behavior.  These small conversations might appear as small incidents but may, in fact, be part of a larger problem.  Report these issues to a guidance counselor or a school administrator.
  • State Report Card - I know we have seen the data and I can't commend you enough for all the hard work you put into the students at West Geauga High School.  For more information on the state report card, please visit this site.  
  • PLC - This week is our first PLC Wednesday of the year.  Stay focused on your department's work.  We all have a lot of work to do in order to align ourselves with the Common Core and the PARCC assessments.  I know Nancy Benincasa is working to create a standard form for submitted the work completed during your PLC time.   I will get this out to you ASAP.  Please see me with any question.
  • Freshman Mentoring - This week is our first freshman mentoring session.  The following teachers will not report to their PLC but instead report to an assignment to observe the freshman mentoring students:  Mrs. Williams, Mrs. Susong, Mr. Mikes, Ms. Emans, Mrs, Jahnke, Ms. Nells and Mr. Novy.  Our new guidance counselor, Ms. Widman, is taking over the program from Mr. Callahan this year.  She will contact in regards to where you should meet your students.  
  • AP Scores - It has been reported to me by Mr. Palmer that our AP Scores were the 12th best in the State of Ohio!!  If you are an AP teacher and still need to see our scores, stop in at your convenience.  Outstanding job!
  • Google Accounts - I am finding it necessary to check both of my emails (Outlook and Google) to ensure I receive all of my messages.  I ask that you please do the same until this problem is worked out with our tech department.  I believe Ron and I got around to the entire staff that was having issues logging into their accounts.  Please let me know if you are still experiencing problems and I will be happy to assist as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment